Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Guest Blogger: Denise Sawyer

Guest Mommy Blogger: DENISE SAWYER


Thanksgiving is here and you better believe this Georgia girl is going to be doing some good eatin’! One thing us southerners are known for is our good southern home cookin’ and my family is no exception. I was born into a family of fabulous home cooks with delicious (and simple) recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation.


At our Thanksgiving table you’ll find a huge turkey, cornbread dressing and gravy, sweet potato casserole, squash casserole, asparagus casserole, homemade cranberry sauce (not anything like the canned stuff!), and plenty of pecan pie! I can hear my stomach growling already! Around our table you’ll see four generations of my family plus my in-laws. A total of 13 people and enough food to feed an army!


My grandma still cooks the meal, although my mom will go to stay with her and help her prepare it. Grandma doesn’t really allow anyone to help though, just watch her and keep her company! She will let my mom make the sweet potato casserole, it is what she’s famous for, and my father-in-law will make the pecan pies the night before at my house before we drive up to join the rest of my family.


My favorite part of the meal? Definitely the squash casserole. You can get my family’s recipe on my blog here: http://wholesomemommy.com/squash-casserole/


I could eat my weight in it! Although, isn’t that what Thanksgiving is for… to stuff yourself like a turkey?


No comments:

Post a Comment