Friday, March 5, 2010

Meet the Mom: Jyl Johnson Pattee


There are so many things to love about Jyl that I hardly know where to start. This Utah-based mom started a fantastic business connecting brands with the moms who love them on Twitter.  She calls it Girls Night Out or #GNO as a twitter hash tag--those of us who attend the parties just call it plain old fun. Home base is the MomItForward site, where you'll find essays and tips from Jyl all infused with her wry sense of humor.

This summer Jyl is putting on a social media conference called EVO.  We say attending anything Jyl organizes is time well spent.

What one word best describes your current state of mind? Excited!!!

Tell us how you dreamed up the GNO? In mid-September 2008, a few of us jumped online for a girls’ night out to learn Twitter real time together. We had so much fun that we continued meeting, surprisingly drawing a crowd. In response, we formalized the party name a few weeks later with a hashtag (#gno), created a mission and a website (http://momitforward.com) a few months later, and started partnering with brands to bring expert information surrounding important issues, causes, or opportunities to women in the Twittersphere.

What term or phrase do you most overuse? Dude!

What is the best advice you would give a new mom? Focus on you and your love for your baby. Don’t compare yourself to other moms, your mom, or what you perceive to be the perfect mom. Don’t center on your inadequacies or anxiety about being the right mom for your child. Just love her. Do everything out of love for him with your whole heart. What you have to give and who you are to that child are more than enough! Be you!!!!

What 5 items do you think that new moms can't do without?  
I’d say the essentials are:
1. Support from friends and family, especially from spouse or partner.
2. Belief in herself and her ability to be a terrific mom.
3. Sleep!
4. Me Time.
5. Bonding time with the child.

What do you do in your precious down time to recharge your batteries? For me time, I read, play the piano, chop veggies (so stress relieving and yummy at the same time). I am such an extrovert so to totally recharge, I love to spend time with family and friends. Engaging in one-on-one meaningful conversations are the spice of life to me, but usually spontaneously happen and aren’t planned.

What are you currently reading? What I’m really reading are all the amazing recap posts from the www.mom2summit.com attendees. But, as far as books, I have both the Life of Pi and Linchpin on my nightstand. Huckleberry Finn still remains my favorite though.

What celebrity best describes your personal style? I love Audrey Hepburn, but I don’t know if she describes my style. In fact, I have no idea who describes my style. I may need you to help me with this one :)! 

Follow me on Twitter here:
@jylmomIF or at @momitforward

Current projects that have you engaged and excited: I am putting on a social media conference for women this summer in partnership with Rachael from www.todaysmama.com. You can learn details here: www.evoconference.com. I’m excited about the hands-on and holistic approach we’re taking as well as the opportunity to have a girls’ weekend out in the Rocky Mountains. Think of the fun.

I’m also engaged with a group of women and we are planning a trip to India this fall to couple social media and service in an effort to raise awareness, funds, and do some real time good for a cause important to mothers and children there. I’m passionate about this endeavor and can’t wait for it to roll out.

No comments:

Post a Comment